32 Fun Facts About the Talented Bruno Mars
Bruno Mars is more than just a fedora-wearing, ex-Elvis impersonator who was born Peter Hernandez, he is a Grammy award-winning singer and is as funny as they come. Check out some interesting facts about Bruno Mars.
- Bruno Mars' real name is Peter Gene Bayot Hernandez.
- He was was born on October 8th 1985 in Wakiki, Hawaii.
- Mars said in a GQ interview that his father nicknamed him after professional wrestler, Bruno Sammartino.
- He has also said that he bore a resemblance to the wrestler when he was chubby as a child.
- Growing up, his nickname was "Little Elvis" and did shows around the island.
Source: YouTube Screenshot
- He was interviewed by Pauly Shore for his Elvis impersonation and it was already clear what a star he was going to be.
- Bruno Mars is of Puerto Rican and Filipino descent.
- He comes from a musical family. His mother is a hula dancer and his father is a percussionist.
- At age 4, Bruno joined his family's band "The Love Notes" and performed with them 5 days a week.
- He also comes from a large family and is one of six children. He has a brother Eric, and four sisters: Jamie, Presley, Tahiti, and Tiara.
- His sisters have their own musical group, The Lylas, and will star in their own reality television show about the recording of their debut album.
- Mars left Hawaii for Los Angeles with dreams of launching his career as a performer. after he graduated from high school. Those dreams got put on hold, however, when The Smeezingtons, the songwriting/production team he founded with Philip Lawrence and Ari Levine, suddenly took off. The trio began crafting major hits for a diverse roster of talent, including Flo Rida's "Right Round", Travie McCoy's "Billionaire", and K'Naan's "Wavin' Flag", which was the theme song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- He has written hit singles for B.O.B., Flo Rida, Cee Lo Green, and Travie McCoy.
- Since his career began, Mars introduced his all-male band, The Hooligans, a band that includes guitarist, bassist, drummer, keyboardist, and horn players. They serve also as dancers and background singers.
- It took 3 years for his manager to convince Atlantic Records to sign him.
- Not only is he a talented singer, but he also plays the drums, keyboard, bass, and guitar.
Source: TumblrSource: Tumblr
- One of Mars sillier songs, "The Lazy Song" has over 450 million views on Youtube and is one of the most viewed Mars music videos.
- While performing, he only requests two items for when he's back stage: wet wipes and a bottle of wine.
- He loves his tattoos. He currently has 4: His mother name (Bernadette) over a heart, the words "Pete's Boy" in homage to his father, a ship's anchor on his right forearm and an image of a gypsy on his left forearm for good luck.
- His mother died of a brain aneurysm in Hawaii in June 2013.
- Mars said he was heavily influenced by Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys, R.Kelly and James Brown.
- Source: Tumblr
- He co-wrote Cee Lo Green's popular song, "F*** You" which was promoted as "Forget You."
- Mars and singer Adele are the only artists to ever have a number-one song that only featured piano and vocals.
- He has been nominated for 14 Grammy Awards.
- Mars won a Grammy Award in the category of Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Just the Way You Are" at the 53rd Grammy Awards.
- He has also won awards such as Song of the Year and Best International Artist among others.
- Bruno was arrested for cocaine possession in Las Vegas in September of 2010. He was carrying 2.6 grams and pleaded guilty but the charge has since been wiped from his record after completing some community service.
- His favorite color is maroon.
- Bruno Mars said his favorite food is Chicken Adobo, which is the national dish of the Philippines.
- He is 5 ft 5.
- He was named Billboard's Artist of the Year and has been nominated for four Grammys in 2014.
- Bruno Mars is performing at the half-time show at the Super Bowl in 2014.Source: Super Bowl