32 Fun Facts About the Talented Bruno Mars
Bruno Mars is more than just a fedora-wearing, ex-Elvis impersonator who was born Peter Hernandez, he is a Grammy award-winning singer and is as funny as they come. Check out some interesting facts about Bruno Mars.
- Bruno Mars' real name is Peter Gene Bayot Hernandez.
- He was was born on October 8th 1985 in Wakiki, Hawaii.
- Mars said in a GQ interview that his father nicknamed him after professional wrestler, Bruno Sammartino.
- He has also said that he bore a resemblance to the wrestler when he was chubby as a child.
- Growing up, his nickname was "Little Elvis" and did shows around the island.
Source: YouTube Screenshot
- He was interviewed by Pauly Shore for his Elvis impersonation and it was already clear what a star he was going to be.
- Bruno Mars is of Puerto Rican and Filipino descent.
- He comes from a musical family. His mother is a hula dancer and his father is a percussionist.
- At age 4, Bruno joined his family's band "The Love Notes" and performed with them 5 days a week.
- He also comes from a large family and is one of six children. He has a brother Eric, and four sisters: Jamie, Presley, Tahiti, and Tiara.
- His sisters have their own musical group, The Lylas, and will star in their own reality television show about the recording of their debut album.
- Mars left Hawaii for Los Angeles with dreams of launching his career as a performer. after he graduated from high school. Those dreams got put on hold, however, when The Smeezingtons, the songwriting/production team he founded with Philip Lawrence and Ari Levine, suddenly took off. The trio began crafting major hits for a diverse roster of talent, including Flo Rida's "Right Round", Travie McCoy's "Billionaire", and K'Naan's "Wavin' Flag", which was the theme song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- He has written hit singles for B.O.B., Flo Rida, Cee Lo Green, and Travie McCoy.
- Since his career began, Mars introduced his all-male band, The Hooligans, a band that includes guitarist, bassist, drummer, keyboardist, and horn players. They serve also as dancers and background singers.
- It took 3 years for his manager to convince Atlantic Records to sign him.
- Not only is he a talented singer, but he also plays the drums, keyboard, bass, and guitar.
Source: TumblrSource: Tumblr
- One of Mars sillier songs, "The Lazy Song" has over 450 million views on Youtube and is one of the most viewed Mars music videos.
- While performing, he only requests two items for when he's back stage: wet wipes and a bottle of wine.
- He loves his tattoos. He currently has 4: His mother name (Bernadette) over a heart, the words "Pete's Boy" in homage to his father, a ship's anchor on his right forearm and an image of a gypsy on his left forearm for good luck.
- His mother died of a brain aneurysm in Hawaii in June 2013.
- Mars said he was heavily influenced by Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys, R.Kelly and James Brown.
- Source: Tumblr
- He co-wrote Cee Lo Green's popular song, "F*** You" which was promoted as "Forget You."